Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dead Reckoning

There will be mild spoilers in this post.

So I picked up the new Sookie Stackhouse book the day it came out. I couldn't wait to read it. Unfortunately, all that waiting was for naught. If you know me well, I'm a huge Alcide fan from this series, and Ms. Harris dashed all hopes of a Sookie/Alcide hook up here. The book was slow from the beginning. It was disjointed. I have never been a big Sookie/Eric fan, so I'm glad to see that the end may be near (please don't kill me, Eric fans!)

Amelia, who is one of my favorite characters, showed up, and then pissed Sookie off. Granted I could see Amelia doing what she did, but sometimes I think Sookie flies off the handle for the wrong reasons at the wrong people. I understand why she was upset with Amelia, but come on. Amelia is as rash as Sookie used to be.

Alcide appeared for one scene and although I love Alcide no matter what, and still do in this one scene, I feel that Sookie is very unfair to him. Yes, he didn't think his actions through, and yes, he should have known better, but really? We all know that Alcide likes Sookie, so why would her first thought be that he wants to be with her so his pack can have a shaman? She can believe that Eric loves her (and not just for his own selfish purposes, which I'm not convinced of, but I guess she is) but she can't believe Alcide would love her for herself? Yes, he screwed up WAY back in book 5. But what the hell has Eric put her through for 11 books? I wanted to smack her!

And then there was the whole thing with Bill. I honestly was happy Bill would get his happy ending with Judith, but nope, now he's back to loving Sookie forever. WTF?

And then there was Eric. Never was a fan of his, and now I can say I'm definitely not. If Ms. Harris' goal was to kill any of my liking for Eric, she succeeded. And apparently at the end, it's being set up for a phasing out of Eric and a phasing in of Sam as Sookie's Happy Ending. Don't care! Sam's a good guy, but I don't feel he and Sookie have chemistry. She should end up ALONE since that's how she apparently likes to be!

One person (aside from Alcide) that I really liked in this book was Dermot. I can't wait to see how this plays out. In the end, I give the book 3 stars. Not great, not bad. Just good.

No comments:

Post a Comment